Pine Bluffs, Wyoming Territory, 1868
Pine Bluffs, originally "Rock Ranch," received its start with the arrival of the Union Pacific in 1868. At that time, Pine Bluffs consisted of a tent, a slab shack with a stone chimney, and a square shed of canvas-covered poles. These buildings were a grocery store, a bakery, and a saloon. Cattle herds moved up the Texas Trail which ran through Pine Bluffs and the town became the largest cattle shipping point on the UP Railroad.
Clarice Whittenburg papers, Collection No. 400066, Box 31, American Heritage Center, University of Wyoming
Right click on the image to download. For a larger version, click the link below and right click on the image that loads.